Sugar cookies are the rage around any holiday, especially shaped cookies that can be decorated with icing and sprinkles. Thus, here is a very basic sugar cookie recipe that gives you the creative license to adorn as you wish. I opted for the simple circular quintessential cookie, but they’re yummy no matter how you choose to garnish them!
-2 3/4 cups flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 cup butter, at room temperature
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-1 egg, at room temperature
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until smooth, approximately 3 minutes. On low speed, add egg and vanilla.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix just until all ingredients are incorporated.
5. Roll 2 tablespoons of batter and place on cooking sheets. Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Let cool completely.