Although typically a summer dessert, strawberry shortcakes are a crowd pleaser year round. They can be very indulgent, so the following is a recipe that makes only two, minimizing ingredients and cleanup. The biscuits are easy to make and assembly takes no time. For the best results, use chilled butter to ensure the biscuits will maintain their shape and layers. Additionally, try making your own whipped cream with 35% whipping cream and a small amount of vanilla!
Strawberry Shortcakes For Two
-1 cup flour
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. salt
-3 tbsp. sugar, divided
-2 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small cubes
-5 tbsp. milk
-2/3 cups strawberries, halved
1. Pre-heat oven to 450ºF.
2. In a small bowl, mix sliced strawberries with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
4. Add cubed butter and mix with your hands until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Add in milk and mix until a dough forms.
6. Divide dough in half, pat tops of each scone, and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool before covering with strawberries and whipped cream.