Valentine’s Day is a week away, and these cupcakes are the perfect complement to the holiday. Red velvet is believed to be a difficult thing to pass off, but this recipe uses simple ingredients you probably already have at home. The result is a super moist and fluffy cupcake, and this recipe is unparalleled. Remember to share these with people you really like, because they will stick around!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
-3 1/4 cups flour
-1 tsp. salt
-12 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
-1 3/4 cups sugar
-2 eggs, at room temperature
-4 tbsp. red food colouring
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
-1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature
-1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
-4 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
-6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
-4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
-1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF and line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together, red food colouring, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder. Add the mixer and mix slowly.
6. With the mixer on its lowest speed, add one-third of the flour mixture followed by one-third of the milk. Repeat this twice until all ingredients are incorporated.
7. In a small bowl, mix together the baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Add to the mixing bowl and mix on low speed.
8. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter amongst the liners.
9. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool completely.
10. For the frosting, cream together butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, and set mixer on medium-high speed for an additional 5 minutes until frosting is light.
11. Once cupcakes have cooled, frost and decorate as desired.