Making apple pie can be a laborious task. As I’ve previously shared a mini apple pie recipe to eliminate so many unnecessary steps, here is another apple dessert that is just as yummy! Don’t be put off by the ingredient list – many ingredients are repeated. These are a hit at any holiday party and not very hard to make. Skip the apple pie this holiday and make these apple pie bars!
Apple Pie Bars
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-1/4 tsp. salt
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
-2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
-2 tbsp. granulated sugar
-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
-1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
-1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8×8” baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. For the crust, stir the melted butter, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir until all ingredients are combined. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. For the apple filling, combine the sliced apples, flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until all of the apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
4. For the streusel, whisk the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a medium bowl. Cut in the chilled butter and combine with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
5. Remove the crust from the oven, and turn the oven up to 350°F. Evenly layer the apples on top of the warm crust. Layer them tightly and press them down to fit. Sprinkle the apple layer with streusel and bake for 30–35 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. If desired, drizzle bars with caramel sauce after chilling. Lift the parchment out of the pan cut into 16 bars.