Here is one of the most traditional yet delectable carrot cupcake recipes. Free of nuts, pineapple, and raisins, you will love the simplicity of this dessert. Using the most basic ingredients, the preparation and clean up is painless and rewarding. Decorate using mini fondant carrots or orange and green icing, as shown below. Regardless of how they look, these cupcakes are invariably a crowd-pleaser!
-2 1/2 cups flour
-3 tsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 cup butter, at room temperature
-2 cups sugar
-4 eggs, at room temperature
-1/3 cup hot water
-2 cups freshly grated carrots
-1/2 cup freshly grated Gala apple
Cream Cheese Frosting:
-4 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
-6 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
-1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two baking pans with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
5. Add one third of the dry ingredients, followed by one third of the hot water. Repeat twice until all ingredients are incorporated.
6. With the mixer on its slowest speed, add grated carrots and grated apple, and mix just until combined.
7. Using an ice cream scoop, evenly divide batter into cupcake liners.
8. Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely.
9. For the frosting, cream together butter and cream cheese for 3 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, and set mixer on medium-high speed for an additional 5 minutes until frosting is light.
10. Once cupcakes have cooled, frost as desired.