Now that school is back in session, you’re routine is likely getting hectic. You may find yourself looking for a snack, but little time to prepare something. Fall is approaching, so to take advantage of the abundance of apples in grocery stores and markets, try this exquisite recipe! Low in sugar and calories, they are simple to make, use basic ingredients, and are ready in little time. I will be sharing several recipes with apples in the upcoming weeks to showcase the different ways they can be incorporated into desserts.
Apple Cinnamon Pastries
-2 2/3 cups flour
-2 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
-1/8 tsp. salt
-3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
-2 egg yolks
-4 tbsp. cold water
-1 gala apple, peeled and cubed
-1 tbsp. butter, melted
-1 tbsp. brown sugar
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tbsp. flour
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tbsp. sugar
1. For the pastry, combine the flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
2. Cut in the butter until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks and water, and add to the dry ingredients. Mix ingredients until dough forms.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. While dough is chilling, mix together chopped apple, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a bowl. Set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
7. Take pastry dough out of the fridge and roll out on floured surface until it is 1/4” thick.
8. Cut pastry into 3×4” rectangles. Use a whisked egg to egg wash each rectangle – this will act as a binder.
9. Spoon the apple preparation on top of each rectangle, making sure not to overstuff each pastry. Cover with another rectangle, and use a fork to close the pastries. Egg wash the tops.
10. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and dust each pastry with mixture.
11. Bake pastries for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.